Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Okay, so I'm a day late and a dollar short -- I had in mind to update this blog every Wednesday, but that didn't happen. I'm also going to be posting about a subject that's a little behind the times, but in my defense I've been working on finishing my manuscript, but that's done now... so score!

Anyhoo, New Year's Resolutions.

There have been many posts about this floating around and some very ingenious ones at that. I, sadly, am not ingenious, so I'll just fake our way through, if that's alright with you?

First of all I should say, I never make resolutions, ever. So actually saying this a big step for me, but mostly it's something I've been pondering for a while now, so it's just a matter of finally getting into gear.

Now my New Year's Resolution is quite simple: Put myself out there--which is an important thing for any would-be author.

That's part of the reason for this blog (the other part is kind of as a log of sorts for my own wandering mind), and stalking all sorts of amazing blogs and websites.

Also part of that is actually doing the whole submitting thing, which is scary as f***. You're sending off what you hope is a well thought out query letter that will successfully sell yourself and your precious novel.

But there are a couple things to keep in mind (or least this is what I tell myself); 1) rejection is a way of life, it does not mean failure. 2) just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean it's crap (although this is a possibility--we're not going there!). 3) Okay, there really isn't a number three. Um something about drowning sorrow in chocolate cake and white russians, perhaps?

I'm biting the bullet, basically. I spent most of last winter gearing up for this, polishing the MS, rewriting, researching... now to take the plunge. It's scary, but I think starting anything new should be a little scary, exhilarating. It was scary to actually start writing a novel, it was scary to decide this is what I want to do with my life.

Other things in life are plenty scary, too. Like buying a house or getting married or bungee jumping. All scary, but all with a little thrill. So I'm going to focus on the thrill and ignore the scary and hope for the best.

Now, what are your resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment